Your Partner for Real Estate Investments
As real estate investors, you understand that having a clean title is paramount for your success. Investment properties – particularly flips – can present some title challenges. It’s a good thing we love challenges at Watermark Land Transfer.
Other title companies may be wary of helping you on your real estate investment journey, however we welcome your business and will work hard to simplify your transaction. We also understand that time is critical with an investment property and can work quickly to get you to the settlement table as soon as possible.
Our Commitment to You as a Real Estate Investor
- Conduct a title search: Investment properties are slightly different than traditional residential real estate sales. There may be liens on the home, unpaid taxes, and incomplete paperwork. As your title partner, we will diligently work to find and remediate title issues so you can move to settlement and find your next investment. Unlike other title companies, we can even perform a preliminary title search BEFORE you make an offer on an investment property.
- Issue title insurance: After we complete the title search and remediate any issues, we will issue both lender’s title insurance if you are financing the sale, and owner’s title insurance.
- Oversee escrow and closing: We will manage and oversee the escrow account which holds the money needed for the sale. We will also manage and prepare the paperwork associated with the closing.
- Distribute funds: At settlement, we will distribute funds to all parties.
Common Title Issues with Real Estate Investment Properties
Whether this is your first investment property, or one of dozens, you know that title issues are more common on investment properties than traditional home sale transactions. Investment properties are priced low for a reason – the property could be in foreclosure, disrepair, or the current owner has a need for quick cash.
We’ve helped many real estate investors get to the settlement table after finding and addressing common title issues including:
- Liens: A lien is a right to possession of a property by someone who is owed a debt by the current owners. The current owners may have a lien from the government for unpaid property taxes or a lien placed by a contractor for unpaid work and services. In some cases, satisfied or released liens may not have been documented properly which can cause challenges at settlement.
- Past Ownership Claims: Past ownership claims often pop up in homes that have been in a family for generations. A long-lost relative may claim ownership of a property causing a title dispute. Another example of a past ownership claim that real investors may encounter could an unlawful possession of the property somewhere in the chain of ownership.
- Covenants of Record: A covenant of record is when the original owner of the property made some sort of promise to another party in the deed. For example, the original owner may have promised a neighbor use of the driveway or allowed a different neighbor to place a swing set or shed on the land.
- Broken Chain of Title: Like past ownership claims, broken chain of title issues tend to arise with properties that have been in a family for an extended period. A broken chain of title occurs where there is a gap in the ownership of record.
- Errors in Public Record: Accidents happen, and sometimes clerical errors can cause title issues. Filing errors, negligence, and incomplete documentation are potential title issues for investors.
- Foreclosure Issues: Foreclosed properties may seem like a steal, but they also create mounds of paperwork that aren’t necessarily documented properly. With foreclosures, and pre-foreclosures, we sometimes find missing information during the title search and a complex ownership history.
Peace of Mind with Watermark
At Watermark Land Transfer, our team of trusted title agents are ready to take on the challenges of a real estate investor and their investment transaction. We welcome investors and work diligently on their behalf to help provide an easy, seamless closing and settlement process.
Why Choose Us for Your Real Estate Investment Transaction?
- You expect top-tier customer service
- You want to give your business to a locally owned company
- You want to get the best deal on your closing fees
- You have a complicated purchase
At Watermark Land Transfer, you can count on us to deliver top-tier concierge-level service to make your real estate investment settlement go as smoothly as possible!
Have A Question?Send us a message and a member of our team will reach back out to you as soon as possible with an answer.
"*" indicates required fields
If you are a real estate agent or a client with an urgent request, call 223-848-3546 directly for prompt service!
Services We Provide
Watermark Land Transfer provides residents of York, PA and surrounding areas expert title insurance, settlement, closing and notary services.
Protect your investment with owner’s title insurance.
From title search to settlement day, we are there every step of the way.
When you need a notary for important documents, we are here to help.
Easy To Use Online Tools
Our online tools make it easy for consumers, realtors and investors to get the information they need for their real estate transaction. Our secure online tools improve communication between everyone involved in a transaction.