Your Partner in Your Real Estate Journey
Many people going through the home buying journey are unfamiliar with what a title company is, or what they even do. The truth is your title company is one of the key partners in the entire process. Our responsibility is to verify the seller of the house you are buying legally has the right to sell you their property.
- Conduct a title search: Many homes have had more than one owner. During a title search, we will trace the “chain of title” to make sure there are no obstacles such as liens, unpaid property taxes, public records errors, or encroachment with neighbors for you to purchase the home.
- Issue title insurance: After the title search, we will issue title insurance. Title insurance protects your investment in the property including any equity you have built up since the purchase if your ownership is brought into question.
- Oversee escrow and closing: We will manage and oversee the escrow account which holds the money needed for the sale. We will also manage and prepare the paperwork associated with the closing.
- Distribute funds: At settlement, we will distribute funds to all parties.
The world of title insurance and real estate settlements can be confusing! Here are the most frequently asked questions about the process.
- What is a title? A title is essentially your “bundle of rights” to your real estate property. Titles are also issued with other kinds of property including boats and cars.
- Is a deed the same as a title? A deed is different from a title. A deed contains the legal description of the property including property lines and is a legal document.
- What is title insurance? There are two kinds of title insurance – lender’s title insurance and owner’s title insurance. Lender’s title insurance protects the mortgage company if there is an issue after closing that causes the buyer to lose the house in a property dispute. Owner’s title insurance acts similarly, but protects the owner’s investment.
- Why do I need title insurance when I am refinancing? When you refinance, you are obtaining a new loan. The mortgage company will require you a new lender’s title insurance policy to protect their investment in the home. You do not have to purchase new owner’s title insurance, as your original policy is good for as long as you own the home.
You Have the Power to Choose
Although many realtors and lenders have relationships with specific title companies, you, as the consumer, have the right to choose who you work with. Your agent or lender may recommend a solid, reputable company, however it’s best to do some research before committing to a company that will help you with one of the biggest transactions in your lifetime.
Why Choose Your Own Title Company?
- You expect top-tier customer service
- You want to give your business to a locally-owned company
- You want to get the best deal on your closing fees
- You have a complicated purchase
Be your own advocate and research several companies before making a decision. At Watermark Land Transfer, you can count on us to deliver concierge-level service to make your settlement go as smoothly as possible!
Have A Question?Send us a message and a member of our team will reach back out to you as soon as possible with an answer.
"*" indicates required fields
If you are a real estate agent or a client with an urgent request, call 223-848-3546 directly for prompt service!
Services We Provide
Watermark Land Transfer provides residents of York, PA and surrounding areas expert title insurance, settlement, closing and notary services.
Protect your investment with owner’s title insurance.
From title search to settlement day, we are there every step of the way.
When you need a notary for important documents, we are here to help.
Easy To Use Online Tools
Our online tools make it easy for consumers, realtors and investors to get the information they need for their real estate transaction. Our secure online tools improve communication between everyone involved in a transaction.